Monday, September 24, 2012

Danger of a Single Story


- What does it mean to have a 'single story' about a place or community?
  To have a "single story" about a place is a problem because it's all surrounded by people's inferences. To have a "single story" means having false inferences about a place you don't know. For example judging my teacher without even knowing her. Some false inferences are that, All Africans are poor. Mainly False Statements of a place or person without true information.

- Describe a single story you have heard told about your community. What is missing from that story? How could people learn more about that community?
   Since my community is populated by Mexicans & African-Americans, people infer that we are all on drugs and are dirty people. What is missing from the story is not knowing how valuable we are. People can learn more about my community by coming by and visiting it. Talking to the people there.
 - Describe a single story you have heard about another community. How did you learn that story? How could you find out more about that community?
    Whenever I would hear the city Los Angeles, I would think of it as such a pretty place with fancy things, celebrities all over, rich people. When I went to visit everything was the opposite of what I've always thought of. Just because a lot of celebrities are over there, it doesn't mean that it is all about them. There is also normal everyday people. I would have learned more about that community by asking people how everyday life is, do research on the city. That way I would learn more.

-  How could a game let players experience many stories about a place or community?
    In my opinion I think a game would let players experience many stories about a place or community by showing visual information. Kids would understand a game better, especially if it entertained them. Having fun while learning at the same time. I would enjoy that too.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on your blog. It would be easier if you added more details to understand your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really understand your writting and get how your explination of a single story is.

    ReplyDelete